The benefits of wool & wool batting
- Environmentally Sustainable, Renewable, Biodegradable, and Durable– Wool is hard to challenge for its sustainability. It is a renewable material as once cut it grows back naturally. At the end of its life, wool is fully biodegradable in soil (and water), releasing important nutrients into it. Its durability and strength come from the fact that the fibres can be bent back on themselves 20,000 times before breaking (to put this into context cotton breaks after 3,200 bends and rayon fibres only last 75 times!)
- Hypoallergenic– Dust Mites thrive in a warm and moist environment and are the major cause of allergy and asthma suffering. Down and synthetics in bedding are one of their favorite settings. Wool is naturally resistant to dust mites, and thus, wool bedding and wool sleeping bags are a wonderful alternative to feathers and synthetics.
- Temperature Regulative– Being an all-weather shield, wool keeps cool in the summer and warm in the winter.
- Water Repellent– Wool keeps outside moisture away from the skin and at the same time wicks away perspiration, thus keeping the body warm and dry.
- Fire Resistant– Wool is naturally flame retardant so no additional chemicals need to be added to it when used in bedding.
- Mildew Resistant– Wool fibers have a natural water-wicking property that prevents moisture from being retained in the fabric. Besides keeping the skin dry, this quality also naturally inhibits mildew. That’s the reason it also inhibits any bacteria and thus diminishes body odor.